Director, Center for Excellence in Islamic Finance (CEIF), IBA Karachi
Ahmed Ali Siddiqui
Mr. Siddiqui holds a Bachelors & Masters degree in Business Administration from Institute of Business Administration (IBA), Karachi with six gold medals. His areas of specialization include Islamic Finance & MIS
He has over 14 years of rich Islamic banking experience and is being involved in pioneering work in the field of Islamic finance in Pakistan. His major areas of interest are Shariah Compliant product development, Sovereign Sukuk & deal structuring, development of innovative solutions for retail, corporate & consumer banking, formulation of policy guidelines, Islamic banking training, Shariah Audit, applicative research & Islamic financial advisory services.
He also holds the post of Senior Executive Vice President & Head, Product Development & Shariah Compliance (PDSC) at Meezan Bank and leading one of the largest Research departments in the Islamic banking world with over 40 dedicated team members. He is also the Secretary for Shariah Supervisory Board at Meezan Bank Limited. His previous assignment includes launching of Car Ijarah – Pakistan's first Islamic car financing scheme & Easy Home – Pakistan first Islamic Housing Finance as Product Manager in Pakistan.
Mr. Siddiqui is also part the Joint Financial Advisors team to the Government of Pakistan for Issuance of Local currency Sovereign Sukuk & Islamic financing transactions and has advised the government in structuring and issuance of Sukuk/Islamic transactions of over US $ 5 billion dollars.
He has served and is also a member of several task forces at the Central Bank level related to Islamic banking products, Islamic banking regulations, governance framework, Accounting disclosures and Adoption of AAOIFI Shariah Standards.
Mr. Siddiqui is also actively involved in Islamic banking training activities and has conducted various training sessions, corporate workshops & seminars on different Islamic Banking topics including Islamic Financial Products, Product Development & Structuring, Islamic Accounting Standards, Legal documentation and Liquidity Management Solutions etc both locally and abroad.
He is also a frequent speaker on Islamic banking at National Institute of Banking & Finance (State Bank of Pakistan), Export Promotion Bureau, LUMS & Center of Islamic Economics (CIE), Karachi and has conducted several specialized training sessions & workshops in UAE, Bahrain, Malaysia, Australia & UK.
Mr. Siddiqui was recently names in the Islamica 500 for 2016 as among the 500 of the world's most prominent and influential personalities who build up and pioneer the Islamic economy and the Halal industry.
Currently Mr. Siddiqui also serves as:
- Senior Executive Vice President & Head of Product Development & Shariah Compliance at Meezan Bank
- Secretary to Shariah Supervisory Board of Meezan Bank Limited
- Chairman of the Standing Committee on Islamic Finance of Federation of Pakistan Chambers of Commerce & Industry
- Member of Institute of Chartered Accountant of Pakistan committee for Islamic Accounting Standards
- Member of Advisory team for Center of Islamic Economics (CIE), Jamia Darul uloom Karachi,
- Member Board of Editorial Advisor, Journal of Islamic Banking & Finance (ISSN -18184-8042)
- An Adjunct Faculty member for Islamic Banking & Finance, Islamic Economics & Islamic Capital Markets at IBA Karachi.
Brief Summary of some training sessions/workshop/courses conducted
- Workshop of Islamic Product Development
- Musharakah & Equity Based Products
- Liquidity Management Solutions for Islamic banks
- Introduction to Islamic Banking & Finance
- AAOIFI Accounting Standards
- Shariah Compliance & Audit
- Advance Topics in Islamic Finance
- Specialized workshop on Successfully Structuring Innovative Sukuk for Various Real Estate Types, KL
- Specialized workshop on Valuation Issues and Developing Effective Valuation and Viable Exit Strategies for Shariah Compliant Real Estate Investment, KL
- Workshop of legal documentation for Islamic banking, KL
- 5 day detailed workshop on Islamic Accounting Standards, UAE
- Comprehensive Training sessions for Islamic bankers & Scholars at Markfield, UK
- Advance Islamic Finance Workshop, Melbourne, Australia
Some of the Paper & Presentations delivered on Local & International Forums
- Innovative Product development – Case study of Meezan Bank's Product for Retail space (Sept 2016, Dubai – 2nd Annual Product Development for Banking Summit)
- Globalization of Sukuk – Issues and challenges. OIC Trade & Economic Forum (Oct 2015 - KL, Malaysia)
- Labor Market Trends for OIC countries for 2020 & Expectation of High growth companies from Young graduates – OIC Higher Education Forum. (Oct 2015 - KL, Malaysia )
- Workshop of Islamic banking Products, Regulations & Supervisory Framework for Islamic banks for Central Bank of Djibouti (March 2015) on special Invitation of IDB, Jeddah
- Legal documentation in Islamic banking (3rd Asia Islamic Finance Forum KL 2013)
- Islamic Banking & Finance: Global & Local perspective – Islamic banking session by Management Association of Pakistan (Karachi, March 2012)
- Challenges in Islamic Finance Product Development - 2nd International Conference on Islamic Business 2012 by Ripha University (Islamabad, Feb 2012)
- Islamic Finance: Socio-Economic Impact and Accountability – First Islamic Finance & Banking Conference Oman (Muscat, Jan 2012)
- Strategic Road map for Islamic Financial Product Development & Innovation – World Islamic Finance Summit 2011 (Karachi, Sept 2011)
- Islamic Banking: Global & local perspective - Conference on Islamic Economics & Finance by IBA Karachi ( Karachi, June 2010)
- Exploring Islamic Retail Banking Solutions for SMEs - International Islamic Finance Forum UAE (Dubai, May 2010)
- A Case Study of Meezan Bank – Journal of the Institute of Bankers Pakistan Dec 2014
- Meezan Bank – A Role Model of Shariah Compliance for Islamic Banks – Islamic Finance Review UK (May 2014)
- Islamic Banking Synopsis - Journal of the Institute of Bankers Pakistan Sept 2013
- Successful launch of IIBR gives hopes for development of local benchmark in Pakistan –IFN news / The Finance Daily (Jan 2013)
- Country Feature – Islamic Banking in Pakistan Report 2012 (IFN News)
- Islamic Banking – A viable solution to Current Financial Crises (2009)
- Islamic Banking – Differences, Growth & Challenges (2008)
- Bridging the skill-set gap Jan-Feb 2018 issue (https://aurora.dawn.com/news/1142889)
- Interview with Shabbir Kazmi in Jan 2018 before/about WIFF 2018 (Eurasia Review)
- "Bridging the skill-set gap" – Aurora, Dawn (Feb, 2018)
- Challenges of Islamic banks in Courts – Daily Dawn (Oct 17, 2016)
- Islamic Banking Industry – Growth Amid Challenges – The Financial Daily (Nov 16, 2012)
- Islamic Banking Modes for Agriculture & Financing Facilities – The Financial Daily (Oct 12, 2012)